Thursday, June 28, 2012

Permanent Damage

Sorry about the rare serious nature of today's blog but after what went down this morning, I need to get this off my chest and be done with it. Of course I'm talking about the Supreme Court's 5-4 decision to uphold Obamacare as Constitutional. Now depending on which fictitious side of the political aisle you more closely align yourself with, you might be thinking that's a good thing. However if you comprehend the majority's reasoning on upholding this law, and you still think that,  I unabashedly and unapologetically call you a fool, uninformed, unintelligent, a moron, or perhaps all of the above. Oh and just as an aside, I say "fictitious" because if you think there is any significant difference between a Democrat or a Republican being in power, I also unabashedly and unapologetically call you a fool, uninformed, unintelligent, a moron, or perhaps all of the above.


Continued after the jump...


Now, in case you fall into one (or more) of those unfortunate categories, let me break this down for you. In upholding Obamacare, what the Supreme Court has essentially said is that the government can penalize you for declining to enter yourself into what amounts to a legally binding contract (because that's all an insurance policy really is, a contract), and it can call that penalty a tax. You must understand how destructive this is to our personal liberty! The government can force an American citizen to enter into a contract! What? And now that its ok to force us to do that (sorry sorry, "tax" us for NOT doing it), what ELSE can they force us to do now?

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!


I want you to ignore the picture of that handsome devil losing his mind up there and really think about this, because Obamacare itself could be repealed tomorrow and it wouldn't matter, becausethat Supreme Court decision, and more importantly, the precedent it sets, will be there FOREVER. Meaning that the next government power grab (regardless of which set of assholes on which side of the dumb "bipartisan" aisle it might come from) will have support and foundation to be upheld because they already did it once! That's how judicial scrutiny of a law works. This terrifies me, and it should terrify you too! And if it doesn't scare you, or at least make you go "heyyyy, waitaminnit...", I unabashedly and unapologetically say you're a yadda yadda yadda...

Look, I don't have a punchline here, and for once in my life I find myself without a snarky or sarcastic comment. I'm dismayed. Dismayed because we are, without any hyperbole, less free right now as I write this than we were just this morning. I'm dismayed because something like this should be revolution-provoking -- bloody, violent, "let's burn a whole bunch of shit down" type revolution, and it's just not. And most of all, I'm dismayed because some people think Mitt fucking Romney is the solution to all this. Mitt Romney. The guy who wasn't good enough to beat John McCain in the primary last time around is supposed to be our salvation now? Fine, he might be the lesser of two evils in this particular instance, but that doesn't matter because the damage is done. There is now Supreme Court precedent that says it's constitutional for Congress to force Americans to bind themselves in a contract. I hate to break it to you all, but Romney's not gonna fix that. Why would he? With precedent like that, he'll be able to push some other ridiculous requirement on American citizens to further HIS agenda. Today, Americans have finally lost the last vestige of the right to be left the fuck alone. And its only going to get worse. Have you ever heard the saying "if you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to want a glass of milk"? Well, the government is the biggest, hungriest mouse you've ever seen. Damage was done to our liberty today my friends, and unless the Constitution itself gets amended to limit or eliminate the taxation powers in the 16th Amendment (BWAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!), that damage is permenant.

I've said it jokingly before, but in a way I really do wish Washington DC would just fall into the fucking sun. Starting over seems so much easier than fixing this utterly corrupt and ineffective thing we've got.  (Great, I've finally become so disillusioned that I've made the transition from Libertarian to full-blown anarchist). I don't know how to end this. I was going to lighten the mood by posting a few more pictures of Kate Upton and her magically wonderful boobs, but I'm too depressed for that even. 

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment